|Image courtesy of freedigitalphotos.net|
After thinking and praying about it, I decided that I was going to do a unit on the Fruit of the Spirit. I wanted to spend a week on each Fruit. To Google and Pinterest I went. While I found a lot of lessons designed for Sunday School classes, but not a lot for a homeschool unit. I would need to create my own.
(Disclaimer: Our week is only 4 days long because we go to a homeschool co-op one day each week.)
After finishing our week on the Fruit of Love, we started our next week studying Joy.
- Review Galatians 5:22-23.
- Discuss that joy and happiness are not the same thing. We can have joy even when our circumstances aren't what we like.
- Discuss what is NOT joy.
- Being mean - kicking, hitting, and using unkind words
- Raising your voice
- Temper tantrums
- Refusing to answer when someone speaks to you
- Talking back
- Being jealous and dwelling on it
- Boasting or bragging
- Read Nehemiah 8:10. Talk about how we get our joy from the Lord.
- Read Psalm 119:111. Talk about how we get our joy from God's Word.
- Talk about how we can turn to God and the Bible when we are having a bad day in order to renew our joy.
- Read Acts 16:16-40. Talk about how Paul and Silas had joy in spite of their circumstances. We can also have joy no matter what our circumstances are.
- Talk about how Paul and Silas sang praises while they were in prison. Make a list of songs we can sing to praise the Lord.
- Read Proverbs 15:13. Talk about what a cheerful countenance looks like.
- Make self-portraits of our cheerful countenances.