A is for Ants
I have to be honest - I can't stand the little creepy crawlers. The very first home Robb and I ever owned had a terrible problem with ants. According to the pest control guy, these were Argentinian ants and were difficult to get rid of. One time they came in through our living room windows and took up residency in our couch - all while we were at church on a Sunday morning. It was not pleasant when Robb went to lie down for a Sunday afternoon nap!
Enough about my problems with ants, though. Here are some interesting facts about ants:
- There are over 12,000 different species of ants. (That's WAY too many.)
- Ants can be found on every continent except Antarctica. (Maybe I should move there.)
- The total weight of all the ants in the world is equal to, if not larger than, that of all humans.
- Most ants can survive around 24 hours underwater. (There goes my plan of killing them by drowning them.)
- The ant is one of the world's strongest creatures in relation to its size. In fact, some ants can support up to 100 times their own weight upside down on glass.
- Fire ants cause an estimated $5 billion worth of damage in North America per year. (Fire ants are just pure evil.)
As much as I hate ants, they did make for a very cute craft.
red ink pad
white card stock
black crayon, ink, or pencil
Use the red ink pad to make fingerprints - 3 fingerprints per ant for the 3 body parts. Draw 6 legs and 2 antennae for each ant. Glue macaroni to each ant like the ant is carrying it.
How do you feel about ants?