Thank you for visiting me during the A to Z Challenge! I hope you'll join me throughout the month of April. I'll be exploring animal crafts with Sassy Pants for each letter of the alphabet. Not only that, but I'll be sharing with you some interesting facts about each animal. (Just to showcase what a nerdy homeschooling mama I am. LOL)
H is for Hummingbird
Hummingbirds are amazing little creatures. We don't have a hummingbird feeder, but I really want to add one to my yard.
Here are some interesting facts about hummingbirds:
- Each species of hummingbird makes a different humming sound.
- Hummingbird feet are too small for them to walk or hop.
- A hummingbird eats twice its body weight every day. (There are days that I think I've done that too. Never a good thing. LOL)
- The throat color is not due to the pigment of the feathers but because of iridescence in the feather arrangement and is influenced by light level and moisture.
- Despite being so small, hummingbirds are very aggressive and will attack jays, crows, and hawks that come into their territory. (Sounds like my tiny but feisty Sassy Pants.)
Paper cupcake liner
Cut the cupcake liner into four quarters. Cut a small oval from card stock. Wrap the oval in foil and tape to hold. Use a green crayon to color the foil.
Tape a section of the liner on each side of the oval for the hummingbird's wings. Tape another section to the back of the oval for a tail. Color a strip of card stock black. Cut a long, thin beak and 2 small circles for eyes from the strip. Attach to the oval.