Thank you for visiting me during the A to Z Challenge! I hope you'll join me throughout the month of April. I'll be exploring animal crafts with Sassy Pants for each letter of the alphabet. Not only that, but I'll be sharing with you some interesting facts about each animal. (Just to showcase what a nerdy homeschooling mama I am. LOL)
K is for Kangaroo
I think I first fell in love with kangaroos because of Winnie the Pooh. The sweet mothering of Kanga and spunky little Roo warmed my heart. But my love affair with kangaroos ends with the cartoon variety; the power in the legs of the real ones scare me.
I took the easy way out for the kangaroo craft by using a coloring sheet, so I ended up doing 2 crafts.
Here are some interesting facts about kangaroos:
- Kangaroos are the only large mammals that use hopping as their primary way of moving.
- Kangaroos are able to move their ears in different directions without moving the rest of their head. (Yet another skill that I would find really useful, but only if it meant I could hear AND understand 2 things at once.)
- There are more kangaroos than people living in Australia.
- On land, kangaroos only move their hind legs together, but in the water, they move each leg separately to swim.
- Kangaroos can't hop backward. (I guess that makes doing the Hokey Pokey a little difficult if they have to put their whole body in and out.)
Kangaroo coloring page
Brown card stock
Color and cut out the kangaroo pieces. Trace pouch onto brown card stock. Glue outer edges of pouch onto adult kangaroo, leaving the top open.
Color, then cut paper plate in half.