For this review, we received six months access to the High School Spanish I curriculum, an online digital curriculum.
- Vocabulary words - Each unit presents new vocabulary that is grouped by theme or part of speech. Next to each vocabulary word is an audio icon so that Ballerina can hear the correct pronunciation of the word. There is also a button at the bottom of the vocabulary page for printing the list. There are also activities using the vocabulary words in sentences,
- Grammar practice - This section contains a video that shows how to use the vocabulary in different situations, especially if there is more than one Spanish word to describe something. They also explain grammar rules, like changing words from singular to plural, conjugating verbs, etc.
- Speaking labs - Here they give conversational sentences to listen to, repeat, and record.
- Cultural videos - These videos share different aspects of the culture in Spanish-speaking countries. Some of the topics that Ballerina has learned about so far include idioms in Mexico, school hours, tortillas, and marketplaces.
- Reading activities - These help with comprehension of the Spanish vocabulary.
- Journal entries - Here she is given a topic where she can write a few sentences in Spanish.
- Quizzes - Throughout the units there are quizzes that have multiple choice questions to check how well Ballerina is learning the information.
One aspect of Middlebury Interactive Languages that both Ballerina and I appreciate is being able to go at her own pace. Some sections are very easy for her, while others take her longer. She is able to adjust how long she spends on each section based on her needs.
Not only does Middlebury Interactive Languages take a lot of the teaching burden off of me, but it also takes a lot of the administrative burden off of me as well. Each time Ballerina takes a quiz or a test or completes a journal entry in the program, it records her score, the unit and lesson numbers, and the date it was taken. I can access all of this information in the online gradebook.
You can learn more about Middlebury Interactive Languages on social media:
Are you interested in what others have to say about Middlebury Interactive Languages? Check out more reviews from the Homeschool Review Crew.