Small People

Small People

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Update on OUCH!

So, my friend Heather saw the pictures I posted of The Boy's foot and sent me a message last night that we might want to get that puppy x-rayed to make sure none of the little bones in his foot are broken. Looking at it again this morning and seeing that it is still swollen and still quite colorful, we thought that was a good idea. Off to the doctor's office I went, with all 5 of the small people.

We get to the pediatrician's office at 8:20 and there is already a line of about 10 people waiting for the door to be unlocked, all of whom look like they have various stages of yuckiness. We stand off to the side and wait for just a few minutes before the doors are opened. All of the people ahead of us begin to pile into the sick waiting room. Praying that the answer will be "yes", I go into the well waiting room, explain to the receptionist why we are there, and ask if we can sit on the well side since he isn't sick. Praise the Lord, her answer was, "Of course." I fill out the necessary forms, and then we have nothing more to do except wait. The television in the waiting room was tuned to Nick Jr, and the girls were soon transfixed watching The Fresh Beat Band, which just added to The Boy's misery since he really doesn't like that show.

Finally we're called back to a room and seen by the student doctor, who pretty much just tells us that she can't tell us anything and the doctor would need to see it. Yep, figured that. More waiting for the doctor to come in. He comes in, tells us some soccer stories, and asks who thinks we need to take pictures of his foot. The Boy's sarcastic answer, "My mom already took pictures of it," knowing full well that the doctor meant x-rays. We're given an order for x-rays and sent over to the hospital.

Thankfully, we were able to walk right into outpatient registration and start getting registered. Unfortunately, the doctor didn't write a diagnosis on the order so they can't complete the registration process without that. We get to wait some more while they try to get in touch with the doctor's office for a diagnosis. On the order was written "Right foot x-ray. Hurt playing socccer" (yes, there were 3 c's). The all-important diagnosis they were waiting for: "Right foot injury". I'm not a doctor, but I don't really see much difference besides the wording.

We finally are registered and she walks us over to x-ray. More waiting. Did I mention that I have ALL FIVE small people with me? Actually all of them were really good, either reading books or talking quietly, during all of our waiting. The only one that got impatient was the littlest, who at 3 shouldn't be expected to be patient for all of this. The x-ray itself took no time at all. The technician let me look at the images, and I couldn't see anything, but again, I am not a doctor. She said that the doctor will need to look at it, write a report, and send the report over to The Boy's doctor. She said this could take as many as 3 business days before we hear from the doctor. Seriously??? With all the fancy technology available to us today, they can't tell me today if something is wrong with his foot? And yes, I am aware that it has already been 5 days since he injured it so it obviously wasn't a major issue, but still.

Leaving the hospital, it is pouring rain. I leave the small people in the entry area, and I run to go get the van. I pull up under the overhang, and they all start climbing in - The Boy in the front and the girls in the back. The Boy closes his door and Sassy Pants starts screaming. Her fingers are shut in his door. We get the door open, look at her fingers, and establish that she is fine but her fingers will be bruised and sore. It is always an adventure for our family.

Truth be told, this morning could have been so much worse. We were home by 11:45, so only 3 hours and 15 minutes spent dealing with this. It could have taken longer. The small people could have been poorly behaved during all of that waiting, but they weren't. I am so very proud of them!

As we were driving to the doctor's office this morning, I realized I had forgotten my camera. So no pictures. I'm disappointed; The Boy's ecstatic.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...